Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Let me introduce myself

Wherever I turn these days, I feel as though my being Caucasian, being rich and having a Penis makes me the Bad Guy. In a recent decision by the World Court at The Hague, The Netherlands, it turns out that I am, and reparations are to be made to The Rest of You.

I have spent many damned long years building this "world" that the rest of you live in, and what do I have to show for it? Ingratitude! Whenever one of you speaks of The System, or The Military-Industrial Complex, or just saying "So-ciety" in that desultory way practiced by the likes of you, that's me you're talking about, dammit, and DON'T THINK IT DOESN'T HURT!

Now that I've got that off my chest, let me say that I'm truly sorry. For thousands of years, dating back to ancient times, my people have been tearing around, ruining everything. All the way back to a particularly cold day on the steppes of Central Asia, where the damned Chinese said we were just too evil to live in The Serene Middle Kingdom, and we promptly went south to India, and trashed the Harappan civilization. Again, we're sorry.

Was there a reason? Yes, but you're not going to like it. Profit. Happy? I said it: Profit. Later on, we decided that we just knew better than the rest of you, but that was much later. In the beginning, it was profit, even though we didn't have a word for it yet. In those days, it had something to do with serving The Sky God, or something. But we knew that really we just wanted more land, things and people to do our bidding.

So all right: you got me. I'm evil. Let's just agree to disagree. But no: I have to do this damn thing here, and I'll do it with a patient smile on my face. Because one day...No. I'm sorry.

No comments: